Re: Topband: Receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receivers
From: Kay Groß <Kaygross@onlinehome.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:35:20 +0100
Hello to all,

here some remarks from my side.
Not mentioned is the IC751A,
Tom hat tested this rig and it seems not
to be a bad one below 1000$ in good used
conditions.Also the IC740 is a very good transceiver
I think better then the IC751A if you modify it
with better filters for example with Inrad filters.
One thing may be discussed in this forum,
it is the roofing filter. I think there is a big difference
to use a roofing filter on 70Mhz or on 9Mhz.
The shape factor on 70Mhz is poor against 9 Mhz,
so the double conversion superhet with 9Mhz first IF
and 455khz second IF should be better than on with
70Mhz first IF and 9Mhz second IF and 455khz third
IF because there are more mixer and amplifier stages to overload.May be I am wrong but only hamband transceivers with lower IFs seems to be better testet
than the other ones, not looking for DSP´s or
notch or agc problems only the superhets by themselves.

73 Kay DL5OAQ