Re: Topband: Close to earth Beverage.

To: "k1fz" <K1FZ@prexar.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Close to earth Beverage.
From: "john battin" <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:18:04 -0600
  From: k1fz<mailto:k1fz@prexar.com>
  To: topband@contesting.com<mailto:topband@contesting.com>
  Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 10:04 PM
  Subject: Topband: Close to earth Beverage.

  Thanks to all who sent information as to their close to earth/on earth
antennas.
  All said there was little affect from snow and ice on their particular
antenna..
  Some have experimented with height for best signal to noise which can vary
with other factors.

  I had seen information that Europeans were experimenting with low Beverages.
I was thinking it was for cosmetic reasons. It is easy to tuck them into some
  neat places like along stone walls or fence lines.

  On 160 meters I saw a small loss of signal but a very large loss of QRN from
the latest solar disturbance.

  Another thing that I liked was an even larger front to back on higher bands.
By the time  I reached 10 meters I was seeing  about  40db on an stock
inaccurate S-meter.   (No down lead from the Beverage to ground). A 8 foot high
typical Beverage antenna would have a down lead close to  quarter wavelength on
10 meters.

  Thanks again and I will make this my last on the thread.

  73
  Bruce-K1FZ