Re: Topband: Close to earth Beverage.

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, "k1fz" <K1FZ@prexar.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Close to earth Beverage.
From: "john battin" <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:53:24 -0600
  From: Tom Rauch<mailto:w8ji@contesting.com>
  To: john battin<mailto:jbattin@msn.com> ; k1fz<mailto:K1FZ@prexar.com> ;
topband@contesting.com<mailto:topband@contesting.com>
  Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 6:52 AM

  I believe the advantage you are seeing with a low beverage
  is the reduction of pick-up from the feeds. When you think
  about it, the 8 foot vertical at each end of the higher
  beverage is 1/4 wave on 10 meters and this signal dominates
  the signal picked up by the beverage. At lower frequencies
  the effect is lesser, but still effects f/b and f/s
  signals.>>

  I don't see how that could be. The radiation resistance of a
  short vertical with uniform current can be closely
  approximated by multiplying 1580 times height in fractions
  of a wavelength squared.

  A 1/100th wavelength tall vertical with uniform current has
  a radiation resistance of  .15 ohms.

  .15 ohms radiation resistance is a tiny part of 400-600 ohms
  antenna impedance.

  The mechanism going on (I've never seen an improvement here
  laying a Beverage on the ground) is probably the velocity
  factor of the wire has decreased increasing effective
  length, or he has managed to position a null on a dominant
  local noise source.

  What everyone seems to ignore is the entire Beverage from
  end-to-end receives vertically polarized signals. It is very
  unlikely that two mismatched 1/100th WL long verticals would
  ever inject meaningful noise or unwanted signal to a wire 1
  or 2 wl long that the 1-2 wl long wire wouldn't already be
  receiving.

  If the ends had enough sensitivity to change noise level,
  the pattern would be terrible. It all comes back to antenna
  pattern.

  73 Tom

  My measurements (done with care) show quite the opposite... that the reason
hardly any of our beverages have the text book pattern is that the pattern is
determined by the vertical component of the feeds. To take it further, it
became more obvious that if the length of the beverage or the  termination
resistance seems critical, it is most likely related to pick-up by the feed
wire. For instance, take the limit case of an unterminated beverage that is an
odd multiple of 1/4 wave long. The beverage presents a low impedance to the top
of the feed wire and increases the current in it .... This could be looked at
as a low inverted L..... As we terminate the beverage, the top loading on the
feed wire increases to several hundred ohms and is quite independent of
frequency. Even at that, the top loading still enhances the signal picked up by
the feed.
  Along with the expected advantages, phasing of  beverages may cancel the feed
pick-up, although the effect is likely to be in the form of deep nulls rather
than a broader pattern.
  The good news is that great front to back and front to side ratios are not
very important unless we are trying to null noise from one  particular
direction. Even with only 15 db. rejection, the noise picked up by the front
lobe can be expected to dominate the S/N ratio.

  John
  K9DX