Re: Topband: Close to earth Beverage.

To: <Topband@contesting.com>, "k1fz" <K1FZ@prexar.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Close to earth Beverage.
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:58:39 -0500
Another thing that I liked was an even larger front to back
on higher bands. By the time  I reached 10 meters I was
seeing  about  40db on an stock inaccurate S-meter.   (No
down lead from the Beverage to ground). A 8 foot high
typical Beverage antenna would have a down lead close to
quarter wavelength on 10 meters.>>>

A quarter wave high vertical with uniform current would have
.25 squared times 1580 or 99 ohms radiation resistance, and
would be a major contributor to radiation and reception.
That's why we never want to install our 160 meter Beverages
130 feet in the air.

What happens on ten has nothing to do with what happens on
160 (where the vertical ends have .15 ohms radiation
resistance and can be ignored).

73 Tom