Re: Topband: HS72B

To: Peter Koehler <peter.koehler@nau.edu>,Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: HS72B
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:28:39 -0800 (PST)
Pete,

I have to disagree with your statement below. I've heard many stations with
similar antennas and power make it through when I couldn't. The biggest
variable in the equation for success on topband is blind, dumb luck. Of course,
those with better stations and more skill get lucky more often!

>From my AZ QTH, my success with Pacific and Asian expeditions was less than
>50% due to a very high local noise level. I could always work Robin and guys
>like him who went the extra mile and put out a whopping big signal. But it
>always boiled down to being in the right place at the right time.

Now, from my WA QTH, my success ratio is somewhat higher due to actually being
able to hear nearly everything. Unfortunately, the other guys can't seem to
hear me as well as I hear them. I just have to wait until the "searchlight"
shines on me. Like my brother-in-law, the farmer, sez: "If I didn't have bad
luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!".

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg
http://w7iuv.com

Peter Koehler <peter.koehler@nau.edu> wrote:
. I can lament with Larry that only the most powerful stations have
made the contacts so far. I hope the propagation Gods will smile upon us

73's Pete KJ7WY