RE: Topband: Grounding protection-Beverage?

To: "Mike Bragassa" <bragassa@consolidated.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Grounding protection-Beverage?
From: "R. Kline" <k7nj@zahav.net.il>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:24:20 -0700
After losing many matching transformers and terminating resistors to
lightning, I added spark gaps to ground.  Instead of typically losing at
least one component a year and sometiimes more, there haven't been any more
lightning losses since installing the spark gaps.  The installation was pure
simplicity.  From the antenna wire terminal I connected a piece of heavy
wire - about #10, and the same from the ground terminal.  These heavy wires
were placed close to each other inside of the box (to stop the negative
effects of weather).  Typically I spaced these wires by about the thickness
of a piece of paper.  The closer the better, but if too close, then you run
the risk of them shorting out, especially if the box is flexible (e.g.
plastic), etc.

Try it, you'll like it :-)

73,
Riki, K7NJ - 4X4NJ