Topband: broadbanding an L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: broadbanding an L
From: Bob Eldridge <r.c.eldridge@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:21:36 -0800
At 19:07 2004-12-31 +0000, you wrote:
Don't forget that sometimes increased bandwidth indicates losses within the system.

That's true, but sometimes a tradeoff is useful. Last week my horizontal loop showed 1.5 SWR right across the band. It is normally about 25 kHz bandwidth. Signals didn't sound bad, and I worked a couple of JA's.
When it was light I plodded around in the snow and found the wire had drooped and was in the branches of an evergreen. I freed it and it came back to normal. But it had worked.

>infamous Maxcom antenna matcher, which was essentially a dummy load with >nonresonant antenna wires attached. The wires radiated enough rf to produce a >detectable signal . . .

On some bands that antenna was only half an S point down from a dipole. A terminated rhombic loses about a third of the applied power in the termination.
The resistor gets warm in a T2FD, but the radiation is more than "detectable".

Just depends what the main objective is. The loss is there, but sometimes it helps.

Bob VE7BS