Topband: broadbanding an L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: broadbanding an L
From: dennis o'connor <k8do@mailblocks.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:24:00 -0800
OK, I'll play the bad guy here - IT CAN"T BE DONE, period! And I am going to challenge those who claim it can be done, to "fish or cut bait." More on that in a minute..

The man asked what changes he could make to his inverted L to make it cover the entire 160 band without having to use matching networks, tuners, etc... And, voila, we get regaled with tales of magic towers and tees that cover the whole band, well of course, there is a network involved, and of course there is a magic pair of open wire feeders parallel to the tower, and of course there was snow on the branches, and of course, etc., etc., ... That is all wonderful for the few who have such a critter, but it doesn't answer the man's question, guys..

I do not have Tom's expertise in things RF, but I am conversant with the antenna literature of ham radio, and no such antenna has been published - and if it had been published and actually worked, we would all have one in our back yard...
Nor does my personal experience show me that it can be done... Tom may even remember my adventures with my underwater dipole, and others, and my quarter wave vertical, folded monopole with different wire diameters for impedence transformation.. While I had fun with the folded monopole antenna and it was broader band than a single vertical, it was not the answer to a maidens prayer...

So, the challenge #1... Now, take my challenge in the spirit it is intended... I am smiling as I type this, so those who are wanting a flame war need not apply...
Describe, or diagram, for me how you will mechanically alter the original author's inverted L antenna to make it cover the entire 160 band with SWR below 1.5:1... Heck, I'll be generous and even give you 2.0:1... Post your creation here and I guarantee if it works you will be published, and applauded, in the ham literature... (don't even think of using a resistor and claiming you won)

After you have overheated your brain, and fried EzNec, trying to do that and give up, then challenge #2 is to do the same, but I will allow a single, fixed network at the feed point... One fixed coil and one fixed capacitor (no variable elements, no multiple paralleled caps, coils. etc., no mechanical or electrical switching per the original request for help)

Have at it guys...

Denny - "Full power to the shield Mr. Sulu."