Topband: Re: [160m] Spot Light Effects...

To: "Pete Rimmel N8PR" <n8pr@arrl.net>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>,<160m@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Topband: Re: [160m] Spot Light Effects...
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:33:40 -0600
Pete wrote:

...snip...

> I find this interesting, since I live in South Florida
> (Hollywood) and have data that would disprove your premise.
> I don't have any trouble working MN on 160.  My Contest logs
> will show that.

...snip...

Pete,

I have no trouble working SFL from MN either.  But the signals appear, I work a
bunch of you guys, and then they are gone.  MN is a big place.  And you having
propagation to one of the 60 or so that operate topband from here (many HP
stations) is virtually assured.  I run almost exclusively LP.  I'm not looking
for an argument, only making an observation using SFL as an example.  SC and VA
are more commonly the direction of my spotlight propagation (speculation of
course).

I agree with you.  I have never failed to work SFL in a contest.  But I do NOT
work SFL throughout the evening.  I have long been a believer that the entire
continent is open to me at some point of the evening for each evening of
regular or better propagation.  I can also make the same statement about CA
stations.  I do NOT work CA throughout the evening hours.  When the path opens,
I work them, so they too are in my log.  Now Alaska?  That's a different
story...

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com