Re: Topband: H/V vs Time (The N2XE Beacon Tribune)

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: H/V vs Time (The N2XE Beacon Tribune)
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:01:53 -0500
On Monday 03 January 2005 11:51 am, Tom Rauch wrote:

> For a few years VK3ZL,  ZL3REX, and myself kept morning
> skeds from their sunset to my sunrise and beyond. We
> almost always tested three antennas here

Hi Tom,

I'm sure the results were fascinating. I notice much more
day to day variation on VK3ZL than you seem to. That may be
related to you having multiple antennas to choose from, or
just differences in the path. A complicating factor lies in
that it is often difficult to determine exactly when the
peaks occur here due to spotty activity from VK. However I
have seen some very sharp peaks about an hour before SR.

> IMO it would be interesting to do a blind H vs. V vs.
> time-of-day test over multiple directions and distances
> with modest to high power.

That would be very interesting. During my previous years on
160 I was certain there were clear trends as to when and
where I did well with my H antenna vs those with V, and
vice versa. Since I returned to the band I have found no
such trends are evident. Either it was coincidence (over a
span of years) before or conditions have not been typical
the past few weeks. In any case, real tests carried out
over a sufficient period of time would be enlightening.

73,
Paul