Re: Topband: Key-clicks FT1000MK-V field

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Key-clicks FT1000MK-V field
From: "Doug Waller" <NX4D@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:07:31 -0500
There are good alternatives to these radios. Buy the alternatives!
Steer other hams away from Yaseu, and talk about their attitude on
the air.  Tell the ham vendors you aren't buying Yaseu, and why.

I have sat by and watched some of you work yourselves into a frenzy. It reminds me of an old cowboy movie where the good local citizens finally get the lynch rope out and hang the victim.

Yes, the FT-1000's have key clicks, some more than others. Go to INRAD url and read "about key clicks". There you will see that the Omni VI+ and the IC-765 are also very "clicky" radios. There are other clickers, which have not yet been tested. But like the article says, there are more MP's out there than all the other radios put together, so they get the focus.

The fact is, there are so many FT-1000's, because they are one heck of a quality radio for the price. Almost everyone I know has recently purchased a FT-1000MP, Mark V, due to the price reduction. Install the Inrad roofing filter, the 125hz IF filter, turn on menu 7-7, CW-R, and you have a quiet, sensitive, selective, top notch Topband receiver, comparable to $3300 to $9,500 models. Can you imagine one of these Mark V owners telling another Mark V owner: "I am not going to work you because you have clicks."?

Another problem is that for fast CW, a fast rise and fall time is necessary for clean sounding characters. I imagine that most of the concerned on this thread, including myself, only need to send very slow CW, for which the click mods work well. Give Orion credit for adjustable rise and fall times, depending on CW speed.

We are stuck with thousands of these radios on the air. They are probably still the top sellers today. They are not going to go away. The originator of this thread simply asked if the key click mod was applicable to the Field radio, being very agreeable to doing the mod. I have an FT-1000MP, and one morning on 160m CW, someone sent "NX4D CLIX". That was a wake-up call for me. I got out my magnifying glass and soldering pencil. Within two hours the mod was done, and it works!

So my advice is to gently and politely nudge the clickers into doing the mod. Trying to force tens of thousands of owners to switch to a less popular radio, each of which has its own problems, is just not going to work. It would be nice if the factory did a major recall to modify these FCC and ARRL approved radios, but until then, let's exert pressure to DO THE MOD.

73, Doug / NX4D