Topband: Topband T-Vertikal for ZK1Expedition

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband T-Vertikal for ZK1Expedition
From: "Magnus A" <sm6wet@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:36:37 -0000
Hi!

Am currently working on some antennas for our soon to come ZK1 expedtion in February and have some thoughts on 160m as alot of request have come my way for people wanting ZK1 South and North on 160m.

Now, we have several 20m high palmtrees which can be used and my first thought was a Invert L but then I read somewhere that instead of making a horizontal leg on the top of the vertical section one could let the vertical section connect to the horizontal on the middle to get less directivity and less skywave. That is, some kind of Tophat.

Now I am somewhat confused because I have read in many places.

Some people write that if one makes a Inverted L it should be 1/4 wave and one bends it from Vertical to horizontal wherever one likes too.
Other people says it should not be 1/4wave but 5/16th wave.

Also, some people say that if one makes the T model the horizontal part should be what is left over from the vertical lengt to get a 1/4 wave, some says it is still 5/16th wave and some says that if one makes a T model it should have the hoizontal part of the antenna be dubble the length of what is left from the vertical lenght to be 1/4 wave - and som 5/16th wave.

Can anyone please help me sort this out since I really only have tonight and a bit of tomorow to get this sorted as I leave on Saturday

73 de Magnus SM6WET (soon ZK1WET)

---