Re: Topband: CQ 160 CW Contest Observations

To: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 CW Contest Observations
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:12:52 -0500
> No, disrepect to VY2ZM/K1ZM,  but I live further away from
CA then PEI is from EU and I only get 2 points a QSO and
they get 10 points for a closer distance. This rule
discourages people other then those who have a propagation
advantage from seriously operating or even operating at
all.. Getting rid of this scoring system would also
encourage more activity from the West Coast....

> Just my 2 cents worth.....
>
>               73,  Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I didn't think very many people are awe-struck when stations
in areas with short distances to significant five or ten
point Q's rack up huge scores. If raw score meant anything,
it would not be such a popular contest.

Get a good crew together and operate seriously from here
next year as a multi-op. I doubt anyone from the east coast,
even though a thousand miles closer and having a saltwater
path, would look like they had a significant advantage.
Canada is a different country, just like places in Europe
and Africa are. You can easily win the USA year after year
from Georgia, despite having a significantly longer path and
a path largely over land. So it isn't all that unfair. It
certainly wasn't unfair to W4AN.

It was nice to let the east coast have a shot at winning.

73 Tom