Topband: DX last night and QRM problem

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: DX last night and QRM problem
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 07:39:20 -0500
Maybe someone can offer some suggestions on this problem.  I
almost always have some serious QRM between 1813 and 1820,
sometimes taking out even more of the band.  It has been a
serious problem in my attempts to work a JA.  It sounds
like something oscillating, but it is a rough, growling,
very unstable note that is often 3 or 4 kHz wide.  It also
moves up and down the band somewhat.  It seems to be weaker,
narrower, and more stable on VERY cold nights; on warm
nights it sometimes splits up into several distinct
"growlers" and they wander the band more.  I have shut off
everything in my house and it is still there.  I have tried
a different receiver and power supply and it is still
there.  Any ideas what this might be???  Last night was very
warm for this time of year and it nudged up above 1820, at
times wiping out 6O0CW on 1821 and this morning it covered
up JA7NI.

6O0CW was just building up nicely when they went QRT at
0000z last night.  When they came back at 0220z they were
loud but only for about 5 minutes before dropping off
sharply.  I suspect the propagation peak was during the 2+
hours they were QRT.  Oh well, I'm sure they will be back
and we can all try again.

It was really nice to work Phil, FR5DN for a new one.  My
last several QSOs with Phil were on 2 meter EME!  I was the
first to work him last night, barely squeezing out a QSO at
0055z.  He peaked 579 at 0210z, which according to my
program is 10 minutes after his SR.

I was also very pleased to put Jon, OY9JD in the log.  I
worked OY 20 years ago but it's not confirmed so this was a
nice one to get.

Last but not least I got a communication from Tom, SU9NC.
He says work is very busy but he will try to get on top
band more this season.  He advises having a high local
noise level so DX / weak signal is difficult.

73
Paul  N1BUG