Re: Topband: DX last night and QRM problem

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX last night and QRM problem
From: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:09:17 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "N1BUG" <paul@n1bug.net>

It sounds like something oscillating, but it is a rough, growling,
very unstable note that is often 3 or 4 kHz wide.  It also
moves up and down the band somewhat.  It seems to be weaker,
narrower, and more stable on VERY cold nights; on warm
nights it sometimes splits up into several distinct
"growlers" and they wander the band more.  I have shut off
everything in my house and it is still there.>

Paul - I have something very similar which I tracked to my furnace control unit - not the thermostats, but the switching control panel on the furnace itself. My shack is right next to the furnace room and the noise "jives" with the various furnace noises (low-speed blower, hi speed blower, etc.) IF you've got everything shut off - perhaps it's a neighbor???
Good luck - Steve KK7UV