Re: Topband: A few beverage planning questions

To: "(Reflector) TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A few beverage planning questions
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:54:55 -0500
Wow: Lots of questions
1. Use any old good coax....it does not matter that much on 160 RG58/59 fine as long as the runs are not in the several hundred feet range.
2. The Beverages need to be as far away from the tower as possible, not just the ends. Ideally you want to be a minimum of 1/2 wave away (that is 260 feet!). 3. there will be interaction with the Beverages...see #2 above.
4. I have mine in a spoke configuration and have the matching transformers about 20 feet away from each other with coax to the rcs4 switch in the center or hub. I suspect some interaction but they work for me.
5. I do not know...mine run thru the trees so not exactly straight.
6. the lower the Beverage the less the gain but more noise rejection. Try laying em on the ground using insulated #14 from that 500 foot spool you bought at the h/w store. Mine would be at two feet but then critters trip over it. Mine are at about 7 feet so I do not hang anyone (much of mine are on a neighboring property that is essentially woods and weeds)
7, I would not worry about tapering down unless you are using looooong Beverages. 8. Insulated wire will not be as noisy when the weeds/trees/brush rub against it in the wind.
9. I use fence staples, no insulators. Electric fence insulators with a nail work fine too.
10. I use #14 stranded. See #6 above
11. Try for cone of silence lengths per ON4UN book rather than just "500 ft" I have one bi-directional that points about east/west...I use it 95% of the time. You will find terminating the far end will give much better performance than bidirectional. Sounds like you will have better rx capability than most of us when you are done. Go to N3RR web site and see how he did it. Good luck. 73 bob de w9ge