[Fwd: Re: Topband: toploading of shunt fed tower]

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Topband: toploading of shunt fed tower]
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:53:31 -0400

Jim Hoge wrote:

I have a 70' crankup tower that I am considering shunt-feeding for 160m. The question is this: The tower supports a Tennadyne T-12 12 element log periodic antenna that is not electrically connected to the mast and tower. Should I install a relay .....

Jim, I had a similar situation with a Force 12 antenna and I relied solely on the boom which was electrically connected to provide at least some valuable top loading. Yes the tower was short on 1.8 but with the proper cage wire shunt feed it works well. So this solution depends a lot on your boom length...or....

I have heard of a coil to boom approach which has high enough reactance not to bother the LP performance and act like an RF choke on the higher frequencies but low enough in inductance to "couple in" the elements to give some additional toploading. Perhaps one of the other readers of this can give you the coil dimensions and let you know of their experiences with this approach. I did not try this as the 70 foot with just the boom as a top load, plus a 15 foot stinger on the top works so well. (Maybe you heard KP2ZZ during the CQWW 160 Contest using this antenna.)

Another, and simpler approach is to connect a two wire "T" wire sufficiently long enough to drive the tower to resonance on 1.8, however, these wires will have some interaction with the T-12 LP. Also one could droop them down when operating on the higher frequencies and raise them up as horizontal as possible when operating on 160, as an alternative.

Relays would be my last choice as the possibility of failure from moisture and contact spacing issues are there since the voltage is very high at these points on the tower as it approaches a 1/4 wave.

Good Luck

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ