Re: Topband: High and low angles

To: "Doug Waller" <NX4D@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: High and low angles
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:52:44 -0500
> Verticals, by their nature, swamp 50 percent of their
radiation resistance
> potential.  But horizontal radiators give us 100 percent
of the radiation
> resistance available.

I'm not sure what you mean Doug. Why would radiation
resistance be important?

What we really want is maximum gain at a useful angle, and
for most if not virtually all DX conditions that angle is a
lot lower than 45 degrees on 160. What good is TOA without
knowing absolute gain at that angle compared to another
antenna?  What good is radiation resistance?

What we really want is maximum absolute FS at the favored
angle, and most of the time the favored angle is a good bit
less than 30 degrees. If it was 30 degrees or so, my high
dipole should have killed my verticals.

The only place I find a low dipole (high angle radiator)
good is within 100 - 200 miles, with the exception of rare
high angle openings during disturbed conditions. That
doesn't mean you can't work DX with cloud warmers, just that
antennas with more FS at lower angles are almost always
better.

73 Tom