Topband: LDE's

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: LDE's
From: "NL7Z" <nl7z@mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:37:08 -0800
Back in the early 90's, Dan - KL7Y (sk) and I would notice LDE's quite
often, but never more than a maximum of about 4-6 seconds. I do recall one
night we could put our call out, un-key and hear our complete call coming
back, weak about 429.
We did notice that the LDE was louder when we would transmit using a high
angle takeoff. Being only 7 miles from each other, and having two meters -
it was easy to check all combinations of antennas. We did use this
phenomenon to see if the band was going to be interesting. Running legal
limit, using qsk, and turning the rit down a few hz was an easy way to hear
if there were any delays.
I have an open mind - but minutes or hours seem very hard to believe. I
would like to know if anyone else heard the same signal as the one reporting
the LDE, also as stated by W8JI - someone could just be having a good time
with a new toy.
Juts my 2 cents worth...

73'
Kevin NL7Z