Re: Topband: Evaluating shunt fed tower ground system

To: <nl7z@mtaonline.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Evaluating shunt fed tower ground system
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:38:18 -0700
From: <nl7z@mtaonline.net>

> At the current time, there is only 22 radials connected - which I plan to
> increase to about 100 radials.
>
> My question is mainly, what impedance should I be seeing with this
> electrical length antenna?

Kevin,

If you are shunt feeding your tower, then the feedpoint
impedance in all likelihood won't bear any reseamblance to
the base impedance. The shunt arm forms an impedance
transformer. By changing the tap point and shunt arm
spacing you can vary the resistive component of the feedpoint
impedance over a whole range of values. I think 60 radials
over average soil is considered the point of dimensioning
returns. If you have really good soil, you might get by with
less. If it were me, I would go with 40 to 60 depending on
how hard it is to put them down.