Topband: de CU2JU Ricardo II

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: de CU2JU Ricardo II
From: Ricardo <cu2ju@clix.pt>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:21:16 +0000
I forgot to say a few things!

Last december I worked the contest with the main intention of getting the much
US States I could,
not many people asked or actualy imagine how I worked this contest, being on
first place was a big
surprise, by the way first place Low Power!

If some dont know, I passed the CW exam last year so I migth be considered a
"rookie" wich I think I
am, My workign conditions where a Icom 706MK2G (my portable station)100 watts
output, a cheap manual
CW Key, a paper logbook and a pencil, a cpl of packs of cigareets (yes I know I
know, cant help it)
and a LOT of good luck plus a generous mother nature with propagation!

One thing that kept me from maybe getting a few more nice states was that as my
first contest
(international) I didnt know anything abt it, for the first hours I chased
stations, I remmember
K1TTT making several pauses when I called him mani times with my modest
station, I wonder what were
they thinking, after several times trying he got me, he said something more
than the ordinary 599
TU, but I was so nervous I couldt even difrence noise from cw sometimes, and
imagine this with no
filters, but the IC706 makes a good job with the notch and the NR!

After a few hours in the loong mornning hunting W/VE stations some guy with a
huge signal told me:
What are you doing??? you should be in the DX window, ur loosing time hehe
hehe, I guess thats what
happens to rookies!!!

Anyway, I finaly stoped being stupid, and after making the first calls, that
was it (i guess i was
in the cluster by then) ohh and BTW,  where I operate 160m I dont have
internet!!!

It was a great weekend, I learned lots of things (the hard way hi)

There, the story of my first contest!
Thank you for reading !

--
73's de Ricardo Chaves