Topband: top guy cancellation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: top guy cancellation
From: W7lr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:50:44 EDT
Is this real or a myth?  I wondered and so asked Al K3LC.  He  studied the
question and had a good article about the topic.  For 160m I  use a 90 foot
irrigiation pipe vertical with four
wires in part of the top guys, each 42 feet long.  The antenna looks
electrically like a quarter wave.  So there is some improvement in the base
impedance, which helps make a matching network and antenna more  efficient.
The main
question however was about the shielding or signal  cancellation effect of
using such top loading.  If I interpret his article  correctly, the antenna
radiates equally well with or without such top  loading.  There is however a
big
benefit of using such top loading - much  better bandwidth when that is used.
My results compare well on bandwidth  with this data in his article.  With two
matching L networks, each with two  ceramic doorknob capacitors, I can
transmit anywhere in the 160m band with low  swr. And it has helped me work 209
countries on 160m, which isn't too bad from  Montana.
73 Bob W7LR   _w7lr@aol.com_ (mailto:w7lr@aol.com)