Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter

To: "W0UN -- John Brosnahan (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)" <shr@swtexas.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:44:23 -0700
> Subject: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter
>
> Nice filter for AM (1700 KHz) station reduction.
>
> http://www.dallas.net/~jvpoll/Filter/TheAMBrickWall.html

With .7 or .8 dB insertion loss, the power dissipation is
something like 15%.  The writeup seems to claim it can
be used in the transmit path.  It would get fairly warm
in a contest at 150W, and probably overheat at 1500W.
OK as a receive only filter.  Any serious 160 meter station
has a separate receive antenna path anyway.

I find that it is easier to build a 160 meter bandpass
filter than a high pass filter as described above.  Especially
if you only require 1.8 to 1.912 MHz.  I've never operated
above that.

Rick N6RK