Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter

To: "Henry Pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net>,"W0UN -- John Brosnahan" <shr@swtexas.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 AM BCB filter
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:55:40 -0400
> with capacitor Q's of 1000 and inductor Q's of  300 - the
filter loss at 1.8
> is 0.82 db and at 2 is 0.23 db ( with "perfect elements "
the losses are
> 0.026 and 0.02 db respectively)   -

Just to plug in some typical 1-3 MHz Q values with
components...

Typical medium size multi-layer silver micas (like CDE) in
the few thousand pF range can be in the Q=1500 range at the
capacitance values you gave, I doubt you'll find many at
1000 in a leaded part. Typical small ceramic disks can be in
the Q=50 range.

Better quality small molded inductors are in Q=20 to 50
range, while air core space wound bare #16 gauge wire coils
like B&W miniductor mounted well away from metal can have
Q's in the 300 range, as might the correct toroids. Anything
else generally falls lower, although I've built some toroid
inductors in the 500-600 range (but they aren't cheap or
small).

For the Q values you gave I'd expect to see something that
looks like a 200 watt or higher transmitting filter. The
filter components in the ALS-600 are typical of the values
you used.

73 Tom