Topband: Boring Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Boring Report
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@pacifier.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:56:23 -0700
Tree, you are right about the QSB being different at different locations. As
you know I am about 75 miles Southeast of you and I was there when you were
working those european stations. I listened as you worked DF2PY  and was able
to tell when you could hear him and I could not during deep fades. Converesly I
could hear him Q5 sometimes when it appeared you could not. It is also pretty
plain that some ops cant here them at all but transmit anyway. I worked SM5EDX
right after you did and the QSB continued. I also worked the OZ1 and the GM0
with the same results. So far my timing to work Wolf has just not been right as
I have heard him for 2 nights also.  I am only using the 90 foot top loaded TX
vertical with 60 radials for RX as the farmers have not finished using the
fields around me so I can put up the real RX antennas. Hope they hurry up. The
Orion transceiver is doing a great job on top-band RX and comfortably feeds the
Titan amp to 1500 watts. Interestingly enough I also
  had a failure of my TX antenna recently . During some high winds here a very
small piece of radial wire deposited itself and a Tumble weed right across one
of my guy wire insulators shorting an extra length of guy wire to the antenna
after arcing through its insulation. I finally ran around the guy wires with a
small neon bulb while transmitting 5 watts until I found the hot wire. I found
the reason for the failure  by using binoculars. The resonant frequency only
dropped about 100 Khz but it sure threw off the VSWR.
Looking forward to more pile-ups...     Lee K7TJR Oregon