Topband: Phased beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Phased beverages
From: "w4pv" <w4pv@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:59:24 -0400
Hello,

I am in need of suggestions as to the best and most efficient way to install
a pair of phased beverages for 80 and 160 into Europe

My plan is to install two 400 - 500 ft. beverages spaced about 135 ft.
apart. I will install one ground rod at the terminating end and 3 ground
rods spaced 8 ft apart on the receiving end.  Each ground rod will be 4 ft.
long.  The beverage wires will be 8 - 10 ft. high.  The receiving ends will
be fed with 75 ohm cable going to an unun balun and then 75 ohm cable to my
switch box.  The terminating resistors will be around 500 ohms.

Questions:

     Is this spacing sufficient?

     Is the grounding sufficient to even out the impedance over changing
earth?

     What is the best length for the pair of wires for best rear rejection
and development of a reasonable frontal lobe?

     What is the best type of terminating resistors to use?

     Should I collect a supply of various valued resistors to insure best
performance and match for the beverages?

     Is the chosen height above ground ideal or should it be raised/lowered
somewhat?

Thanks,

Patrick, W4PV