Topband: Topband report - Boring, OR

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Topband report - Boring, OR
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:12:32 -0700
Before attending my last meeting at work, I saw W2VJN/7 spot RA6AX around
0020z - a good 40 minutes before my sunset.

After the 30 minute meeting and the one hour drive home - I was surprised
to find RA6AX booming in.  He was having problems hearing, but eventually
pulled me out.

I spent the next 20 or 30 minutes listening for LZ4UU, 5B/WJ2O and 5Z4DZ.

I was hearing bits and pieces of LZ4UU and after nearly giving up, he came
up on a good peak and answered me.  We exchanged reports and he started
faded out as he started to ask me something like "PSE".  Hope he meant
PSE QSL - which I will since it is my second new country in as many
evenings.  I haven't worked back-to-back new ones like that for many
years.

THEN - I guess the propagation gods were feeling sorry for my family and
they threw the BIG SWITCH around 0300z and that was the end of the band
for the night.  I did manage a quick JA QSO this AM after reading N7UA's
post about the big noise being QRT for the night.  Hopefully, it will
stay that way.

After playing around on this band for more than 30 years, it still has
surprises.  Many thanks to W4ZV who twisted LZ4UU's arm and encouraged
him to stay up late enough to work the west coast.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net