Re: Topband: Gamma match prob, summary and new question

To: <df9ox@gmx.de>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Gamma match prob, summary and new question
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:29:24 -0700
Andy:

If you get any good hints please pass them on.

After a few weeks of gathering parts, I'm in the process of building the
pi-network specified on W8JI's site.

I was impressed with the matching range of the pi-network.  With
experimentation, I should be able to determine how well it works, excepting
the loss factor.

I mentioned the pi-network here a couple of weeks ago, and was cautioned
(mostly off-list) that this method would result in losses.

Well, every matching method will have some losses.  How much is too much I
really don't know.  It would seem to me that if I'm able to match the line
to the load well, then the losses would be less than if I were matching the
line to the load not so well.

C1and C2 will be a vacuum variables.  The 90 microhenry L1 will be a coil
from a Harris 10 KW broadcast transmitter, with a heavy, edgewound
conductor.

Should know soon.

73, Barrie, W7ALW