Topband: Reversible Two Wire Beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Reversible Two Wire Beverage
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 12:34:43 -0400
Topbanders,

I have purchased a DX-engineering RBS Reversible Beverage System but have
waited over a month for 600 feet of ladder line from another vendor.  I plan
to install this antenna to fill in some nulls in Northern Europe using the
large open field to the south of my QTH. (I discovered this null by comparing
results with my ENE Beverage which works well to these areas only when the
path is skewed.)
The DXE specs call for a 400-500 ohm open wire or ladder line which I do not
presently have.  A hand made line of 600 feet is not an easy core, thus I
asked for advice:

What will happen to the reversible two wire Beverage system performance if I
use any of the following locally available wire pairs of much lower impedance?
Such as,

(1) Lamp Cord (I believe this is around 70-90 ohms)
(2) Telephone company "C" drop wire. (Very strong and durable)
(3) Twisted Pair wire (Impedance unknown)
(4) Cat5 8 conductor LAN cable.. connecting the correct pairs for each side of
the system.

Any thoughts would be appreciated since I do not know when the ladder line
will arrive in time for the upcoming contests.

Thanks,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ