Topband: Reversible Two Wire Beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Reversible Two Wire Beverage
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:23:45 -0500
KV4FZ wrote:

 >The DXE specs call for a 400-500 ohm open wire or ladder line which I do not
presently have.  A hand made line of 600 feet is not an easy chore.

         It may not be as bad as you think!  I
believe the following would be closer to
4-500 ohms than anything you are proposing:

         Buy a 1/4 mile roll of 17 Gauge Aluminum
Fence wire from your farm supply store.  This wire
has extremely low weight per length and can be
stretched very tightly.  I suspect it would need
only 2 intermediate supports between the ends (i.e
about 200' per span).  Build 2 supports with the
desired wire spacing and perhaps one intermediate
spacer for each span (i.e. 3 total).  I don't have
the formula in front of me but I guess 3-4" spacing
would be in the ballpark for 17 Gauge wire to be
around 4-500 ohms.  You can connect Cu to Al wire
easiest if you use twist electrical connectors with
a dab of Noalox inside each.  I would slope each
end of the wires down to a stake and stretch it as
tightly as I could.  This should allow you to need
only 2 intermediate supports with very low sag.  One
set of spacers between supports would then make 100'
spans without any physical spacers, but if you stretch
the wire very tightly I suspect there would be little
variation, even in a brisk wind.

         Hopefully someone will calculate the exact
spacing for #17 wire to yield 400-500 ohms, but I'm
guessing 3-4" should be fairly close.  The key to all
of the above is stretching the wire VERY TIGHTLY!

                                         73 & GL!

                                         Bill  W4ZV