Topband: Spotting

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Spotting
From: Steve Lawrence <SMLX@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:36:05 -0800
There has always been spotting, no matter the band. It could have
been a telephone call in the wee hours or the uncanny accuracy of
information in the West Coast DX Bulletin printed days in advance
or .......

The difference today is that the information moves so much faster, if
not instantly. Without some 160m spots of the last few years, I would
have certainly missed several new ones on what amounted to openings
of a few seconds with my meager left coast RX antenna. And I'd likely
still be chasing my #100 on Topband.

The problem I do see is when instant information is the vehicle for
some malcontent to act maliciously. The information benefits, though,
remain far greater for those who choose to use them. And good on-the-
air operating habits serve as positives by example.

I love hearing the alphabet impaired in a pile up (and, yes I've had
my own goofs) and then hearing the DX take iron fisted control and
sticking with the Q until uncompleted.

There are ops who have not had a station up for years but remain on
the DXCC Honor Roll because they drop by a friend's station or their
friend simply uses his buddy's call. Also, today's "standings" are
difficult to really compare to the days when the call area / distance
rule was in effect dictating when you had to start DXCC all over.

In seeking information about the history of 160m DXCC on this
reflector, I was surprised at the number of comments I received about
ops who had achieved it but never applied for the award.

I number myself with those whose measurement of achievement is simply
personal.

73 - Steve WB6RSE