Re: Topband: "Magnetic Receiving Loop / small loop , brief summary.

To: "'Steve Lawrence'" <SMLX@earthlink.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "Magnetic Receiving Loop / small loop , brief summary.
From: "Robert Marshall-Read" <rmread@starhub.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 05:35:13 +0700
-----Original Message-----

To paraphrase K1ZM: "Try and have available every type of receive
antenna you have room for."

There is no substitute for trying an antenna to see how it works -
especially when the cost of the parts is minimal. After you've over
analyzed the theory and milked this reflector for information - just
try it!

Hello Steve me ole son, I am fighting the band again (and it wins most
of the time)!!!!

Up to 52 DXCC here in YB5 so far in a year including 17 Zones.  I miss
the 'good' set up (wire out the window from the kitchen and RX low
dipole on the roof) at 9V1GO.  Jeff K1ZM commented when I sent him
pictures of the Singapore system.....'you have almost no antennas'.

I have a pair of beverages in Batam but the band has been terrible on
the weekends I operate.  Then there is the problem of the wire fairy who
steals the copper during the week when I am not there.  Amazing what
moving 35 miles to the south did to the propagation.  The TX antenna is
an inverted L but the soil is terrible and the 11th floor sloper did
better across the straights.  BTW the total from 9V1 was 119 DXCC and 32
Zones in 18 months on the air on Top Band.  I gotta hurry to beat that
total from Indonesia.

CU this season I hope, I need USA for a new one ;-)

73

Bob

Robert Marshall-Read
YB5AQB 9V1GO G4VGO EI7IU SV0BV JY9BV KY0C
ARRL RSGB CDXC SARTS ORARI LoTW

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow, what
a ride!'

Web www.qsl.net/g4vgo