Re: Topband: conditions this morning

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: conditions this morning
From: John Kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:23:21 -0600 (CST)
K1GUN wrote:

>Boy! was that a good opening or what! best Ja opening i've had to Ja i know
>the folks down south see this type of opening pretty much regularly but up
>here it's a different ballgame,

Yes, in W1 land this was the best JA opening in at least 2 years.  Conditions
like this are definitely rare.  I got on at 1140Z and managed to log JA7NI,
JL8GFB, JA8ISU, JA0QNJ, JH0BBE, JA5DQH, JH2FXK before my sunrise just after
1200Z.  Most were S4 to S6, although JA1JRK (heard calling N1EU) was 579.
That's as good as it gets at this QTH.

I did hear HL3IUA quite well a couple weeks ago, but no QSO.  I've also heard
VK6VZ a couple times on LP this month, in daylight just before my sunset.  That
LP is very marginal this time of year because there is essentially no darkness
overlap between W1 and VK6 around local sunset.

73, John W1FV