Re: Topband: CW speed

To: <eric@k3na.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: CW speed
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:51:21 -0500
> Why sending faster helped me at the noisy VK9ML QTH:
>     -- In between a pair of static crashes, I had a part
of
> a second or maybe 1-2 seconds to get a piece of a call.
If
> attempt, or the next, or the next after that... so now I
can
> ask "8J?" as a speculative fit.  [Of course, in this
> example, it might be "BJ" from another part of the call...

OK, that makes sense. In effect the call is getting repeated
many times, so the faster speed lets things slip in between
crashes.
The only way a higher rate should help is if things were
repeated many more times, and that is what is happening with
that system.

The real killer is when higher speed stations on 160 send
things once and assume the other person got it.

73 Tom