Re: Topband: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon

To: <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 12:52:53 -0500
> It is a sad day that we have to think how to stay ahead of
people that
> obviously have no integrity.Yes, radio is about radio and
yes, I would like
> to hear my sigs over Skype
> for the sake of of just knowing that the band is open.

Whenever anyone places a receiver in a primary part of the
band and allows remote access to that receiver, two things
can occur.

First, people can use it to hear something they normally
would not hear.

Second, people will ping that receiver. The mere presence of
the receiver, if people use it, will create unnecessary QRM
by encouraging people to make one-way transmissions to that
receiver. This is something that should never be encouraged.
We don't need people pinging receivers with one-way
transmissions in crowded areas of the band. (I'm not even
sure it is legal. One-way transmissions are allowed to
establish communications (CQ) or adjust equipment, but the
FCC rules don't indicate one-way transmissions are legal to
just to find out how we sound at a distance. The fact we
would be communicating with ourselves appears to be a
violation of the part 97 rules against one-way
transmissions.)

73 Tom