Topband: Bidirectional vs 2 simple Beverage antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Bidirectional vs 2 simple Beverage antennas
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 06:27:22 -0500
LY2IJ:

 >Did anybody try to compare 2 twisted wires (or coax) switchable Beverage ant
to the same length single Beverage?
What are the reasons to have 2 Beverages instead of one with slightly
more complicated feeding system? Which one is more sensitive to not
perfect end load?

         Arunas I have never compared these directly
but theoretically there should be no difference between
properly terminated Beverages (single or reversible) of
the same length.  The obvious advantage is that you
would only need half the number to cover multiple
directions since they are reversible.

         I did see N4SU's system of 6 reversible Beverages
when I helped remove them, and was surprised to read
his documentation in tuning each reflection transformer
termination individually (by removing or adding turns
to minimize the SWR).  The feed is also more complex
using latching switches.  I also feel this system might be
more susceptible to lightning damage than single Beverages.
Dave's seemed to work very well as a permanent system, but
since I must install and remove most of my Beverages each
season over agricultural fields , I decided to stay with
single Beverages for simplicity reasons.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV