Re: Topband: Bidirectional vs 2 simple Beverage antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Bidirectional vs 2 simple Beverage antennas
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 06:23:46 -0800 (PST)
Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu> wrote:but
since I must install and remove most of my Beverages each
season over agricultural fields , I decided to stay with
single Beverages for simplicity reasons.Bill's  comment matches my experience.
When you have to install/remove every  season, it's nice to minimize the amount
of effort invloved. I have  resisted trying a two wire bi-directional Beverage
just because of it's  complexity.
  Reliability is another issue. I can't even keep a pair of end-fire  phased
Beverages running for a full season. With eight Beverages up, I  will always
have some problem, but the single wire - single direction  Beverages have
simpler problems. In this area at least, one needs to  consider winter weather
troubleshooting and repair. The best technical  solution is not always the best
practical solution.

  73,

  Larry - W7IUV
  DN07dg - central WA