Topband: RG-6 Coaxial Cable...

To: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>,"Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RG-6 Coaxial Cable...
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 07:39:12 -0400
> RG6 that I have used is a double shielded (aluminum)
> flooded cable.  The stuff is great.  It's cheap, light
> weight, small form factor, and low loss.  You don't
> indicate how you are using it, but remember that it has a
> fairly low voltage rating--I've seen 600v when it's
> rated--Lord only knows how low when it's not voltage rated
> by the manufacturer.  Any SWR and you better be talking
> about receiving applications.

Typical RG6 coaxial cables, like all coaxial cables I have
tested, handles a lot more voltage than anyone would expect
by looking at ratings. I know this because I not only buy
and use it by the pallet load, I also measure cable samples
for a couple cable manufacturers.

The limit to my HV tester is 15kV peak. Other than RG6
batches with the center conductor way off center through a
dielectric defect (like poorly formed foam that is all
powdery) I can go right up to the limit of my tester on most
cables.

I don't know where the voltage ratings coaxial cable
manufacturers use comes from, but it has to be one of the
most useless ratings I have ever seen.

By the way on 160, 80, and 40 meters RG6 will easily handle
1500 watts in free air. I use it for dipole feedlines on
occasion to save weight.

> better off.  I've also had to throw away more than one
> F-to-BNC adapter right out of the box (AC/DC open circuit
> and no clue why).  I have no experience with a F-to-UHF as
> you describe (it would be an expensive mutant adapter if
> you can find one).

When I was in CATV/MATV plant design we used F to 259's, so
I expect they are still available. A search on Internet
pulled up a dozen sources in the price range of $3.00, like
this source:

http://www.grove-ent.com/ADP2.html

73 Tom