Topband: On Using RG-6 Coaxial Cable...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: On Using RG-6 Coaxial Cable...
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:08:17 -0500
Good Morning All,

What joy to hear the band so quiet as it is this morning, AND to be able to
copy --- quite clearly --- both ZL and VK land as they rolled into the clutches
of my K9AY loop...!

But I digress...

My question is to anyone who may have ever used RG-6 "satellite TV" foam
coaxial cable in their antenna system(s), specifically, the attachment of
PL-259 plugs thereonL did you, per chance, simply apply a generous amount of
epoxy glue on the inside of things, prior to soldering the centre conductor of
the cable to the centre "pin" of the plug...?

That's, in essence, what I did here, after installing an RG-59 type reducer
into the barrel of the plug. My only concern was the integrity of the
electrical contact between the outer "braid" drain wires of the cable & the
body of the plug itself --- essentially just a "friction fit" due to the
incompatability of the stuff with lead & tin solder.

Maybe I should have slipped a length of heat shrink tubing overlapping the end
of the plug & a portion of the cable to ensure physical "soundness"...?

Anyway, just curious, as I am about to embark on a fairly major re-vamp of my
160-meter transmitting antenna set-up here in the coming days --- and I don't
want to become TOO heavily invested in a technique that may ultimately prove to
be unsound in the long run, especially with out-of-doors runs of cable, et al...

Many thanks to all, & vy

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ