Re: Topband: Noise Limiter Help

To: "Top Band List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise Limiter Help
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:12:40 -0400
I recently added one of the MFJ 1025 boxes to the setup.

A K3LR tip set me in the right direction.  Peak the noise, then use the 180
button to cancel it.  I have found it is easy to cancel out S9+60dB ground
wave signals from broadcast stations below the 160m band.  But, I've not had
any success with skywave signals.  I still need to do more experimenting
though.

> Are there any other devices available that may be more appropriate for my
> situation?

DX Engineering has one coming out.  Their web page says "Fall 06".  On his
web page on the topic ( http://www.w8ji.com/mfj-1025_1026.htm ), W8JI
describes some differences in his design vs. the 1025 and I'm hoping those
make it into the DX Engineering model.

> Please reply to me directly to minimize the impact on the group

I wouldn't mind hearing about people's experiences with these devices also.

73,
Tom, NI1N