Re: Topband: Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:39:53 -0400
Hi Greg.

> the background is mind numbing static.  Any thoughts on how I could
> improve this other than extending the vertical radiator another 50'.

It's all about the ears :)  If you extended the vertical to 90', you would
have a more efficient radiator but you would still have mind numbing static.
Even some of the stations with full-size 4 squares on 160 still use
low-noise RX antennas there.

I'd focus on RX antennas and not worry about bigger/better TX verticals for
now.  There are a few small-footprint possibilites that you can experiment
with: EWE, K9AY loop, small RX 4 square, etc., that can improve the S/N over
your 43' vertical.  ON4UN has plenty to say about them (and I see from your
website you have the book)

73,
Tom, NI1N