Re: Topband: Strange QRN

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange QRN
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:42:17 +0200

>I brought my RX loop into the shack tonight and was picking up a rough
sounding note on 160 that was cycling every few >>seconds....... then I
noticed it was in time with my CELL PHONE CHARGER !!!!
most likely the camera charger and others have the same RFI generation.....
something worth checking anyway.

Rick Darwicki  -= N6PE =-

I had the same trouble a year or so ago, but it was not from my house!
Traced it to a power distribution box on the pavement
three houses from mine ,called the utility chaps, they could not fault the
inside but RF noise was all over the place.
Then I asked them politely to turn off the power to the houses on at a time
, which they did, and when the power was cut to the house nearest the box
the noise stopped! After a friendly discussion with the owner, the problem
was traced to a cell phone charger in the bed room. I had the same make
charger and mine was fine. Since then, one of my son's friends also came to
visit
and nearly ruined a dx night on 160m when he placed his phone on charge!
(different make)
So yes, some of them are not healthy.
73 Raoul Coetzee