Re: Topband: Strange QRN

To: raoulc@smmcape.co.za, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange QRN
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:00:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/2006 6:49:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
raoulc@smmcape.co.za writes:

>I  brought my RX loop into the shack tonight and was picking up a  rough
sounding note on 160 that was cycling every few  >>seconds....... then I
noticed it was in time with my CELL PHONE  CHARGER !!!!
most likely the camera charger and others have the same RFI  generation.....
something worth checking anyway.

Check for notorious sources -- bed warmers in water beds, pool /  jacuzzi
water warmers (especially bad when it's your neighbors); damned new  Halloween
lights with large clear plastic spheres with blowers and little  plastic "bats"
- the static noise can be very bad; electrostatic air cleaners;  low voltage
indoor lights - especially kitchen undercabinet lights - these now  all use
miniature "electronic transformers" aka switching power supplies.   And Im sure
the list grows  ...