Re: Topband: Effects of trees

To: "Jim Monahan" <K1PX@msn.com>, <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effects of trees
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 05:50:09 -0500
The impedance of my 160 meter vertical 50 feet or less from
a few large pecan trees was about 5-10 ohms higher than the
impedance of identical verticals in open pasture.

The impedance of that vertical went down when two trees
nearest the vertical were removed.

I have no idea how that changes the FS, but since a tree is
lossy (compared to a steel or metal structure) it probably
isn't helpful. By the way, my 300 foot tall tower 400 feet
or so from the 160 array affects the pattern quite a bit
when it isn't detuned. It doesn't add loss, it just changes
where the power goes.

73 Tom