Re: Topband: Effects of trees

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Effects of trees
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:22:37 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2006 5:08:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

Do I  think trees impact the antenna in a negative manner?
Sure I do. So do many  other things. How much is anyone's
guess, but any amount it hurts is  certainly meaningless when
compared to not having any antenna at  all.

73 Tom

Being a non powerhouse station with limited antenna real estate I agree  with
this 100%  - any antenna is better than none.. HOWEVER, I think some  prudent
construction practices should be observed when using trees as supports  or
working wires among them.  Basically I never allow the wire to wrap  around a
limb uninsulated. I have seen some people construct an Inv L by simply  letting
the vertical wire wrap around a convenient high limb and pull out the  horiz.
section from there.  Some also use simple rope at the ends of the  wires for
"insulation".

Early wireless pioneers learned that poor insulation and contact with wet
wood can and does seriously affect signal strenght.  So using trees is a  great
idea when you have to - but care should be take to avoid as much wire  contact
wiht the wood as possible by using long insulators and careful routing
(where possible - and I certainly know that aint always possible in the brush)
..
 73 Pete W2PM