Re: Topband: Short, Fat Vertical

To: PaulKB8N@aol.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Short, Fat Vertical
From: Roy Morgan <roy.morgan@nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:51:22 -0500
At 02:08 PM 12/19/2006, PaulKB8N@aol.com wrote:
>... wonder if I can achieve a greater effective height by using  a fatter
>radiating element, primarily using wires that are spread apart.

Paul,

- A local ham friend reports his experience with a 160 meter inverted L: he
got basically no results at all until he replaced the vertical #12 wire
with some pieces of TV mast tubing, THEN it worked.

- ARRL Handbook info suggests that a fat radiator (Inverted L or dipole)
gets you broader bandwidth, and lower losses.  Four or six parallel wires 6
inches or more in diameter would likely get you at least some of these
improvements.

- In a rather ultimate example, the main radiating tower at NSS, Annapolis,
used on 21.4 kc was triangular, about 1200 feet tall and roughly 15 to 20
feet on one side (maybe more, I can't remember well.)

Roy

- Roy Morgan, K1LKY since 1959 - Keep 'em Glowing
13033 Downey Mill Road, Lovettsville, VA 20180
Phone 540-822-5911   Cell 301-928-7794
Work: Voice: 301-975-3254,  Fax: 301-975-6097
roy.morgan@nist.gov --