Re: Topband: Short, Fat Vertical

To: <PaulKB8N@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Short, Fat Vertical
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:24:07 -0500
> I'm pretty much restricted to a maximum height of 40' for
> any antenna I
> install on my covenant-restricted lot.  I have thought
> about an inverted L,  but I
> also wonder if I can achieve a greater effective height by
> using  a fatter
> radiating element, primarily using wires that are spread
> apart.

The tallest effective height occurs with uniform current
over the vertical length. A really fat radiator has high
distributed capacitance and tends to increase current taper,
which is not what we want.

> I've seen antennas that use a sharp V configuration or an
> apex-down  triangle
> to apparently achieve greater bandwidth and perhaps more
> electrical  height.
> I would imagine that increasing the angle of the apex
> would  eventually
> create diminishing returns, as ground losses would
> eventually  increase.

The area to concentrate on is the ground system. Once you do
that, concentrate on the flattest capacitance hat you can at
the top. There isn't any good reason to use a really thick
radiator or a tapered radiator unless you need extremely
wide bandwidth. Many of the things that increase bandwidth
will also increase ground losses by increasing ground
current.

> Also, what about multiple wires in a tall rectangle shape?
> I've seen  some
> references to a three wire folded element in which the
> center conductor is
> broken and fed, and the spacing is 1 foot between wires.

Contrary to folklore, that does nothing but change the
feedpoint impedance. It won't reduce ground losses even the
smallest amount and it won't be any broader in bandwidth
than  feeding the same effective diameter cage as a single
element.

> Any thoughts here?  I was thinking of combining this fat
> vertical  element
> with some type of top loading wire (either an L or a T),
> that could also be fat
> if that would be advantageous.  I've got a  few trees that
> would enable me to
> hide this structure, but I can't get too  fancy.

More capacitance at the top is a good idea, so long as you
don't move the current maxima past the center of the
radiator.

> I've also thought of a sloper, as I have a mast on the
> roof peak that is
> about 45' at the top.  The disadvantage here is that the
> high voltage end  would
> be close to the ground and could cause some losses.

The disadvantages here are you can't make a good ground
system on the roof and it is very difficult to feed without
exciting the feedline shield.

I'm afraid there isn't any magic or free lunch. A good
ground system is almost the entire problem, and anything
else you do adds a lot of complication for no real advantage
over a simple L or T made out of a reasonable gauge wire.
The bulk of losses will always be in the ground system, and
once you maximize the value of current distributed over the
entire vertical area by moving the current maximum to the
wire middle you will have done all you can ever do for that
height radiator so far as radiation resistance goes. The
thicker you make the vertical wire the more end capacitance
you will need to place the current maxima at the center- and
you won't decrease antenna losses while you will increase
ground currents slightly.

You'd never see the difference between a fancy radiator and
an Inverted L made from #14 wire the same height.

73 Tom