Re: Topband: Models and the real world

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Models and the real world
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:21:38 EST

In a message dated 12/30/2006 9:14:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gswynar@durham.net writes:

Case in  point: when was the last time you saw anything that was truly
in-depth, or  enticing, in the "Results" paragraph of any antenna article
that you've  read in the past ten years? It seems that the authors of such
pieces prefer  to splash their literary efforts with lots of
computer-generated graphs  & radiation projections supporting the premise(s)
of their designs ---  but when it comes to actual, "hands on / real world"
results (the stuff  that actually compells you to go out & raise a similar
antenna of your  own), they fall flat...

In the matter of antenna experts, I'll take to  heart first what the guy with
the skinned knuckles & burnt finger-tips  has to say, over most anything that
the guy with carpel-tunnel(sp?)  syndrome in his wrists might offer...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI -  VE3XZ

The concept you express is true in a certain perspective, however, modeling
is often nothing more than the basic physics applied without regard to the
real  world situation - which will vary from each QTH to the other. So like the
ideal  station configurations and antenna's ON4UN recites in his books - which
are not  real practical or attainable for many of us - the fact is they are
standards by  which you can judge your experimental "burnt finger" approaches.
In other  words another source of information - theoretical, yes - but at
least that's a  constant for intelligent comparisons.  I do lots of
experimenting
with rx  and tx antennas here - probably 75% of my total ham radio time - but
I save a  lot of wasted effort and time avoiding silly things which can't work
(or only  work because of flukes) because of the modelling tools. Another
advantage is for  someone like me who is not a antenna expert or engineer, the
models provide a  sort of pre-digested theory giving me the sensitivities and
ignoring the math  and other esoterics ..   73 and HNY to all - someone push
some good  ionosphere over the east coast here for me ..!!