Re: Topband: beverage lobes

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: beverage lobes
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 04:28:03 +0000 (GMT)
>> K3BU:
> > Staggered Beverages narrow the horizontal lobe, to get low
> > vertical lobes you need to go long beverages or long and
> > stagerred, and down hill if possible.

>W8JI:
> Not so. Staggered Beverages can place a null almost anywhere
> depending on stagger distance and phase. With 180 degree
> phase shift you can get a null straight up (and to the
> sides). Generally the stagger works best to control or
> improve F/B ratio or suppress high angle lobes. It actually
> doesn't do as much at all for lobe width.

IS So!
Using EZNEC file example of staggered Beverages from W8JI web site, they show
79.1 deg horizontal beamwidth at 35 deg elevation max angle, gain -14.9 dB  F/B
15.6 dB
Removing one Beverage, the single one shows 94.8 deg horizontal beamwidth at 40
deg elevation angle, gain -13.15 dB   F/B  6.49 dB
94.8 - 79.1 = 15.7 deg  - that doesn't seem like "doesn't do as much".

> The high angle lobe generally doesn't contribute much noise.
> S/N is largely a function of directivity, and that is not
> impacted much by a few narrow spurious lobes.
>
> For Beverages in Echelon (stepped):
>
> http://www.w8ji.com/echelon-log_beverages.htm
>
> 73 Tom

Also statement on W8JI web site that "It is not necessary, nor does it do any
good, to go beyond 1-1/2 or 2 WL." is not true. I have used 3.5 wave beverages
and they kill other shorter Beverages when signal angles are low.

73  Yuri, K3BU