Re: Topband: beverage lobes

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>,k3bu@optonline.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: beverage lobes
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:58:36 -0800 (PST)

"Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com> wrote:I once tried a 1300 ft
beverage.  It needed
no terminating resistor to get very high F/B ratio because the
signal to be rejected was totally dissipated by the time it bounced
off the end and traveled another 1300 ft to the feedpoint.  YMMV.
YMMV is certainly the concept in play here. I have run Beverages from 180 foot
long all the way out to 1100+ feet in length. I can see definite improvement
for every additional foot of length. The observed difference in usable
performance between a 550 footer and an 1100 footer is about the same as the
difference between a 500 footer and the TX vertical. 800 footers are very much
inferior to the 1100 footers. Proper terminations are required for optimum
performance in EVERY case here. I could run out to 2000 feet but haven't
because I can hear so much more than I can work with the 1100 footers, I don't
want to be even more depressed!

Perhaps the difference is due to ground. My dirt is about as bad as you can get
and still call it dirt. The top soil varies in depth from a few inches to a few
feet with a mix of solid basalt, river rock, sand, and caliche underneath. My
verticals are barely better than low dipoles most of the time.

Yes, YMMV!!

73, Larry

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA